History

  • 1908
    After acquiring a forge, Otto Pleissner establishes an iron foundry in Herzberg, Germany. Three employees carry out hand moulding work on premises covering 600 square metres in area.

  • 1919
    Two modern cupolas are procured and the first cranes are installed at the foundry.

  • 1920
    The cumbersome transportation of raw materials on trolleys and horse-drawn vehicles is facilitated by the construction of a rail siding connected to the railway line that passes directly by the foundry premises.

  • 1929
    The world economic crisis brings the foundry almost to a standstill. Only a great amount of effort and skill make it possible to overcome the difficulties.

  • 1930
    Otto Pleissner decides to put a Bessemer converter into operation and commence production of steel. A new era for Pleissner begins.

  • 1936
    Franz Hug, son-in-law of Otto Pleissner, joins the company’s management and provides Pleissner with new “impetus”. Numerous modifications and new-builds ensue. Pleissner installs a second Bessemer converter, a new fettling shop for steel castings, a core shop and an annealing shop.

  • 1945
    A fateful year for Pleissner. Two ammunition trains explode at a nearby goods depot, destroying more than 70 per cent of the foundry facilities and equipment. After the war and the dismantling of the foundry installations, the production of grey iron is very soon resumed, initially for the manufacture of stoves, pots and pans for everyday use.

  • 1950
    Business steadily improves, and further developments lead to the inclusion of high-alloy steel production. A chemical laboratory is added, as well as a pattern shop and a machining shop.

  • 1962
    Steel production overtakes iron production because of the many advantages that steel offers in comparison with iron, with the result that the production of grey cast iron is discontinued.

  • 1970
    In the 1970s over 30 million DM are invested in plant modernisation measures to make the company more productive and effective. Pleissner becomes a market leader in alloyed and high-alloy cast valves and components for locomotive and rolling stock manufacture (gearboxes, couplings and running gear).

  • 1980
    Franz Hug dies, and Eberhard Buttkus and Lieselotte Hug take over the management of the company. The foundry employs more than 1,000 people, achieves an annual sales turnover of 100 million DM and has a monthly output of around 1,300 tonnes of plain and stainless steel castings.

  • 1996
    Takeover by Harzguß Zorge, a subsidiary of Ruhrkohle AG, and renamed to Pleissner Guss GmbH. The Prime Minister of Lower Saxony, Gerhard Schröder, visits the foundry and officially announces the takeover in front of the workforce.

  • 1998
    Renamed to AEK InterForm GmbH, Herzberg branch.

  • 2000
    Takeover by Georgsmarienhütte Holding GmbH. The acquisition of AEK InterForm GmbH enables Georgsmarienhütte Holding GmbH to expand its range of activities in the manufacture and machining of foundry products.

  • 2002
    Independent status as a company and return to the old name of Pleissner Guss GmbH.